Google just announced Performance Max, a self-upgrade tool that allows you to upgrade your Smart Shopping and Local campaigns.
How to upgrade your Smart Shopping or Local campaigns. Navigate to the Notification in your Ads Dashboard, the Recommendations and the Campaign pages.
Historical data preservation. All campaign performance data from previous campaigns will be carried over to self-upgraded campaigns. This eliminates the need to go through the painful learning phase. Campaign settings like budget, creatives and goals, as well as bid strategy, will be carried over.
Automatic upgrades are coming. All eligible advertisers have access to the self-upgrade tool. It will continue to rollout throughout August and September. Google recommends that you use the self-upgrade to upgrade your campaigns before the holiday season.
If your campaigns aren’t eligible for self-upgrade or you don’t receive notification about an automatic upgrade, your Local campaigns won’t be upgraded to Performance Max until 2023. If you have access the self-upgrade option and don’t upgrade your campaigns before September 31, you will continue to have the access until auto-upgrades start in 2023.
Get the daily newsletter search marketers rely on.
Please refer to the terms.
What happens with the old campaigns? Your previous Local campaigns will be removed after you upgrade to Performance Max. Once your campaigns start to auto-upgrade, you won’t have the ability to edit or reactivate them or create new Local Campaigns. Historical data will still be accessible from the Campaigns or Overview pages in Google Ads.
Best practices. Google lists five best practices to make sure advertisers get the most out their Performance Max campaigns.
- The Performance Planner can be used to plan holiday assets and budgets, and to assess how budget changes could impact performance.
- Start holiday campaigns 2 weeks in advance. Then, refresh the creative to put more emphasis on specific goals and not generic store ads.
- Each conversion action should be assigned a value. A click for a phone call is worth $3, while a filling out a form is worth $5, and a store visit could be worth $10.
- One call-to-action per asset category. Performance Max campaigns allow for one call-to action per asset group. Local campaigns can support multiple custom calls-to-actions per an ad group. Up to five customer call–to-actions can be upgraded during the upgrade and will be supported as read-only in performance max.
- Disable geo-targeting and/or ad scheduling
See the Google Ads Help Doc. Learn more about auto and self-updates. You can also read the entire help doc.
Why we care. Automated updates aren’t for everyone. If you are running a Smart Shopping or Local campaign, and you are eligible to migrate to Performance Max as soon as you can, do it immediately. If your campaigns stop performing, it could be a problem waiting until the holiday season. It is better to update campaigns on your terms so that you have the time to make any necessary adjustments.
Search Engine Land’s post Google Performance Max Self-Upgrade Tool for Local Campaigns is now available